ME

ME
ME

Check out SparkPeople

SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Share the Spark!

Site Meter

Thursday, August 04, 2005

UFOs and WIPs

One of the things that I am a little tiny bit OCD about is my cross-stitch.

Even in times that I don't work on it, and there are quite a few long periods where I will not touch needle, thread, nor fabric... I still have the compulsion to purchase more kits, more thread, more fabric. I have so much that I will never ever, NEVER EVER, complete them all. And yet I still buy more, MORE, so much more.

I once joined a Yahoo Group devoted to x-stitch. One of the questions on the application form to join was: What do UFO and WIP mean? I had no idea, so I went "in search of..." online. I found that they mean essentially the same thing -- UFO = un-finished object -- and WIP = work in progress.

I have figured out the difference in the two however...UFO's are those that I have started and now they are put away to be maybe finished up in a few years or whenever they catch my passing fancy again... WIP's are those items that I have worked on in the most recent times.

I currently have a few UFO's, though I have been working really hard at completing those, before starting anything new. My dad and I have a running joke, but it is not a joke because it is true, that neither one of us can finish any project that we have started. So, I decided that I was going to prove that I could actually finish something, and have completed about 8 UFO's in the past two months!!!! As you can imagine I am very happy about this. I currently am working on a large UFO, which is now my main WIP. It is of a pair of geese in a flower bed that I started probably about 10 years ago, planning on giving it to my Granny. Granny is long gone to her Maker, but I am gonna finish this darn thing anyways. It is turning out quite nice too!

I have also started a small Rose, which may become a UFO really quickly because I have another project that I am chomping at the bit to start. It is a very beautiful and complex piece, which if and when I finish it will be a dragon listening to a story being told by a knight. I have all the materials except the fabric, and it is in the mail and I hope it is at home this evening when I get there.

I want to get a scanner so that I could post pictures of my projects on this blog. That would be cool.


Forever In His Loving Arms....

1 comment:

RussianViolets said...

I used to try and do this, but too many UFOs killed the joy for me. I want to find time, but it never seems that I can. I admire you for doing so, though.