ME

ME
ME

Check out SparkPeople

SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Share the Spark!

Site Meter

Monday, July 25, 2005

Saturday Morning Traffic

Saturday morning I woke around 8:30 which is rather early for me on a weekend day. I decided because the temperature was expected to hit another 3-digit high I better water the lawn a little before it got too hot. I set the sprinklers and thought about going back to bed, because that is how tired I was. Instead I took a seat on my upstairs porch and basked in the summer Saturday Morning traffic, and the growing heat of the day.

Traffic is not freeway, or even busy city traffic. It is a little slower here in Nicolaus. OK OK a lot slower. It can actually be a bit on the loud side though. I live right next to the Pacific Railroad which goes from points south (Sacramento) to points north (Washington State). As this is a major train path I have one going by approximately every 10-20 minutes depending on the time of day.

We tend to get more trains during the night when trying to sleep, and strangely a lot of them on Sunday during church. As I live right at an intersection I have the train blowing its horn as a warning to all those who for some reason have not seen the flashing red lights nor heard the clanging bells.

On this particular morning I noticed maybe two or three trains in the hour that I sat there. The other traffic was much more enjoyable. There were two airliners heading to Sacramento International Airport, about 20 miles south. I am directly in the flight path both from planes coming from the north and from the east. I had one of each.

I also had a couple of smaller 1 to 2 person planes tootling around, out for a Saturday cruise. I refer to all smaller planes as crop-dusters, even if they are not. We have those also, but they tend to be closer to the ground and buzz the house, making everything rattle, and then usually are crack of the dawn early.

A helicopter was going from Roseville,probably.. heading north-west towards Yuba City, maybe. A carrier jet was heading north to Beale AFB. I could hear a dirt-bike or two at a neighbors house about 1-mile as the crow flies.

Speaking of crows there were plenty of them flying around, and also many other birds I don't know the names of. Dragon-flys buzzing close to the ground in droves, and yellow-jackets angry that I tore their nest down the night before.

Sounds of the highway a mile west of my house were faint, just a truck shifting down for the four-way red light stop.

This is the traffic that I can live with. It is soothing.

As Always, In His Loving Arms

1 comment:

RussianViolets said...

That does sound soothing. I felt myself sigh just reading it. :-)