ME

ME
ME

Check out SparkPeople

SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Share the Spark!

Site Meter

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

DMV Drama, not so much, but dang the wait is long

I stood in line at DMV yesterday for an hour. This was just to get a number so that I could sit in the lobby for another hour. Then my number was called and I got to go to Window 17, turn in some paperwork, and then go to Window 15 to pick up the tags for my car. 2 hours to turn in paperwork and pick up tags. I took a half day vacation to do this! and it was the third time I have gone thru this process in the past couple of months.

I was talking with a co-worker about this and another butted in saying "You can do almost everything online." This is NOT true, only partially true. If you know 2 months IN ADVANCED then you can do many things online with DMV. However, for things that happened suddenly, like getting a car and having to get title transferred, etc, then you have to go in spur-of-the-moment.

The first time that I had to go in was because I knew I was getting a car and my driver's licence was expired (over a year) and so I had to go in to get it renewed. I stood in line, I sat in the lobby, I went to a window and got a written test, took the test, took my picture and was out of there. 2 hours or so that visit.

The second time was after I got the car. I had to go in and pay the title transfer fees, and stood in line and sat in the lobby, paid $166 and was told that I need to get the car SMOGGED and bring back the paperwork, or I could mail in the paperwork. I was also told I had until Feb. 18 to get it done. No Problem. That was two weeks ago.

I took the car to the SMOG shop and it failed. So then I had to figure how to get it fixed and smogged. I talked with the lady that sold the car to me and we took the car into the shop where she had it serviced. I needed a sensor/computer thingy (or 3 possibly!). The shop did not have any in stock and it may take a few days. So, I waited and got the car back from the shop after 2 days.

Because computer thingy was replaced, the computer memory needed to be reset before I could get it tested at the smog shop again. This, I was told, required me to drive the car at least 100 miles. Not always an easy thing to do during the week, when I have nothing much planned and the worst storm of the season playing out.

I finally hit the 100 mile marker. I let Charlie get a lot of practice driving during the past week! Took the car in and it passed smog. Yippee!!! Now I could take it into DMV and get my title transfer complete and my new tags! But.... it was a holiday weekend AND with the budget in CA sucking the way it does right now (meaning NO BUDGET figured out) and with CA doing work furloughs, DMV is closed on the 1st and 3rd Fridays each month.

So, I stood in line on a Tuesday of a 3 day DMV work week.

Oh, we (Charlie and I) also found out that their behind the wheel tests are booked out over a month already. That would explain why when we DID GO ONLINE to make an appointment for Charlie to take his behind the wheel test -- THERE WERE NO APPOINTMENTS available for the office we need.

We can make an appointment for YUBA CITY or SOUTH SACRAMENTO for March 16 and beyond. Charlie does not know the area for S. Sac and would be hecka nervous driving there. Yuba City, he knows the area, but it is a 100 mile drive round trip... so, we wait.

He needs more practice anyways!


No comments: